Thursday, January 10, 2013

Serving at Sacred Heart



Serving at Sacred Heart
           It’s been awhile since most of us have posted on the blog (Jenn's carryin' the team lately)!, so I thought I’d take this opportunity to write a little bit about my recent experiences outside of my day to day work at FAN (Faith Action Network), and share some of the good work being done at Keystone, which I’ve had the pleasure of helping with.
          Just a bit of background first… Sacred Heart is a Catholic church in Downtown Seattle with a women’s shelter, housing many people who would otherwise have no place to stay. Throughout every month, Keystone Congregational Church provides a dinner once or twice to these very women, and my two experiences helping with this has been awesome, to say the least.
         Most recently, I went and served with Jo and Marianne, and it was great to see everyone’s face light up, and the gratitude expressed over what (in my eyes) was a relatively simple kind gesture of an offering of food. There were women at this shelter, but also families. It really made myself reflect upon my upbringing, and my daily challenges, and inspired me to continue the good work that we’re here in Seattle to do. I’m reminded of one of my favorite scriptures from Micah:
               

               “He has told you, O mortal, what is good;
     and what does the Lord require of you
     but to do justice, and to love kindness,
     and to walk humbly with your God”? (Micah 6:8 NRSV)

In this light, all of us are equal, and seen the same way, but somewhere along the way, it’s told to us that those of lower socioeconomic demographics shouldn’t be seen in this same “loving kindness”. Seeing these families gratefully eating their meals, and sharing the meal with them was a great experience, and an awesome change from the inevitable separation that sometimes occurs with more politically oriented advocacy-related work. I’m certainly looking forward to more of these meals in the future, and to see these families again, whom God loves just as he loves us. 

--Stephen

No comments:

Post a Comment